Orthotics are shoe inserts or arch supports that can be custom-made to a patient’s foot shape and mechanics. Some patients buy pre-made versions, but many find that a custom-produced pair is the most beneficial. Custom orthotics are tailored to meet a patient’s specific needs and can offer numerous health benefits.
The impact of custom orthotics on your health includes the following:
1. Improved Comfort
Orthotics can provide cushioning for areas of your foot that need it, helping you stay comfortable throughout the day.
With a custom orthotic, you can choose what kind of support your foot needs and how much cushioning you’re looking for.
Each person has a different foot structure. Custom orthotics provide personalized comfort depending on the following factors:
- The kind of shoes you wear.
- The shape and size of your foot.
- Existing foot conditions, if there are any.
2. Reduced Pain
Foot pain is common among many people, particularly those with joint or muscle issues.
Custom orthotics can help redistribute your weight evenly across your feet. These inserts also provide extra stability, which can reduce pain in your feet, knees, hips, and back.
Custom orthotics can also reduce the pain that results from the following conditions:
- Plantar fasciitis– the inflammation of the plantar fascia.
- Hallux rigidus– a condition that results in limited mobility of the big toe.
- Bunions– an outward-pointing bump on the side of your foot.
- Arthritis–the inflammation and stiffness of the joints.
3. Better Posture
Custom orthotics can help keep your feet properly aligned with the rest of your body, which means that you can enjoy improved posture.
Improved posture can reduce strain on other joints, helping you stay comfortable for longer periods of time.
Your posture can also be improved by wearing the right type of shoes. Doctors recommend low-heeled, flexible shoes that offer cushioning and support.
Custom orthotics can help provide even more cushioning and support while also improving your posture.
4. Improved Balance and Stability
Wearing custom orthotics helps keep your feet aligned properly. This can result in improved balance and stability, resulting in less risk of slips and falls.
By wearing orthotics, you can also reduce the strain on other parts of your body while walking or running.
Some conditions affect your foot alignment and cause multiple problems. These conditions include the following:
- Flat feet – a condition where the arch of the foot collapses.
- High arches – a condition where the arch is too high.
- Leg length discrepancies – when one leg is shorter than the other.
- Overpronation – when the foot rolls inward.
Custom orthotics can help correct these issues, allowing for better balance and stability.
5. Enhanced Sports Performance
If you’re an athlete, custom orthotics can help improve your performance. Orthotics are designed to reduce stress on muscles and joints while running.
These shoe inserts can also support your movement better when participating in other sports activities.
Custom-made orthotics provide additional support and stability. This can help you with the following:
- Improved endurance
- Reduced injury risk
- Enhanced speed and agility
- Overall improved sports performance
6. Improved Foot Function
Custom orthotics can improve your foot’s overall function by providing extra support and cushioning. This can help reduce pain, improve stability, and enhance sports performance.
Wearing custom orthotics can also help correct foot alignment issues. This reduces the risk of developing joint problems.
When to Get Custom Orthotics
It’s important to consult your doctor for a proper diagnosis before getting custom orthotics. They can recommend the best type of orthotics for your particular needs.
They may suggest these personalized shoes inserts if:
- You’re experiencing foot pain or discomfort.
- Your feet pronate excessively.
- You’re an athlete and want to improve your performance.
- You’re looking to improve overall foot function and stability.
- You want to manage or treat a foot condition such as plantar fasciitis.
- You want to avoid foot or leg pain.
- You want to improve your posture.
Custom Orthotics Near Me in Plantation, FL
Custom orthotics can provide you with multiple health benefits, including improved foot function, enhanced sports performance, improved posture, and enhanced balance and stability. These shoe inserts can also help reduce pain and treat conditions such as plantar fasciitis. Unlike pre-made pairs, custom orthotics are designed for your individual needs. This makes them more comfortable and effective than a pair you can buy over the counter. Consult your doctor today if you think custom orthotics can benefit your feet.
Looking for a trusted practice to get custom orthotics near you in Plantation, FL? If so, Baylis and Brown Orthopedics are here in full service of patients like you. Our healthcare team is led by board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, Dr. Robert Baylis and Dr. Christopher Brown. You can ring our friendly staff today at (954) 476-8800 so we can assist you better. You can also use our online form to request a visit with the best orthopedic doctor near you.
We look forward to helping you experience the health impacts of custom orthotics!