Custom orthotics have been shown to be an essential adjunct to conservative treatment modalities for a wide variety of foot and ankle problems, including plantar fasciitis, bunion, hammertoe, and heel spur.
In this blog post, you’ll learn about what custom orthotics are as well as how they could help with your foot problem.
What Are Custom Orthotics?
Custom orthotics are medically prescribed, removable shoe inserts, which are molded and designed to accurately match the unique contours and shape of your feet— thus the term “custom.” Their purpose is to correct alignment issues and biomechanical problems (e.g., gait irregularities or other faulty movement patterns of your foot) as well as relieve pain caused by foot conditions, injuries, and deformities, such as the following:
- Plantar fasciitis– This refers to the inflammation of the connective tissue that stretches across the sole of your foot.
- Achilles tendonitis – This refers to the inflammation of the band of tough tissue that attaches your heel bone to your calf.
- Arthritis – This is a degenerative condition that causes inflammation of your ankle or any of the joints in your foot.
- Bunion – This is a bony bump that can form at the base of your big toe.
- Hammertoe and mallet toe– These foot deformities are caused by an imbalance in the structures that keep the toe straight.
- Heel spur – This is the bony outgrowth that can form on the heel bone.
- Fallen arches (either congenital or acquired) – This is another type of foot deformity, which is also referred to as flat feet or collapsed arches.
How Can They Help Address Common Foot Problems?
Custom orthotics can effectively help address the foot and ankle problems mentioned above by:
- Facilitating neurofeedback– Custom orthotics have been shown to transmit sensory feedback to your brain, prompting it to send corrective movements to your feet during gait, thereby improving their function and relieving pain.
- Changing the magnitude, location, and timing of the force acting within your feet- This makes custom orthotics especially beneficial for bunions, as they can also lessen the destabilizing forces that cause joint pain and the worsening of the condition.
- Altering ground reaction force– Custom orthotics are uniquely capable of altering the pressure coming from the ground to your feet during your movements. In turn, this helps improve the function of your feet and lower your risk for reinjury.
- Allowing your feet to disperse your body weight evenly– This helps lessen the strain on any structure of your feet.
Factoring in your lifestyle, footwear, and symptoms, your orthopedic doctor will determine which type is appropriate for you, tailor your orthotics to your individual needs, and then send your foot impression to an orthotics laboratory.
Excellent Orthopedic Care in Plantation, FL
At Baylis and Brown Orthopedics, our talented and highly experienced orthopedic experts offer an extensive range of conservative and surgical treatments—including custom orthotics—so whatever your musculoskeletal problem, we can help you feel better and get you moving freely again.
To arrange a consultation with Dr. Robert Baylis or Dr. Christopher Brown, call us at (954) 476-8880, or request an appointment right here on our homepage. We look forward to serving you!