You actively use your musculoskeletal system on a daily basis, whether it is to carry out simple tasks or strenuous activities. From picking up groceries to playing sports, your bone, and joint health impacts how you complete activities. Because you use your body so much, it can be easy to overlook signs of problems until symptoms become too great to ignore. This is why seeing an orthopedic doctor on a regular basis is so vital.
Let’s look at the biggest reasons why you should visit an orthopedic doctor.
1. If You’re Suffering from an Orthopedic Injury
Orthopedic injuries are some of the most common ailments Americans suffer from. Whether you’re dealing with an acute strain or a chronic issue, your physician can help diagnose your injury. Then, they can create a specialized plan to treat the injury and help you get back into shape.
The most common injuries your orthopedic doctor can help with include:
- Sprains – the tearing of ligaments
- Strains – the stretching or tearing of muscles and tendons
- Fractures – breaks in bones
- Overuse injuries – chronic pain caused by overworking a particular body part
2. If you have Joint Pain
In addition to injuries, joint pain can be another sign that you should be seeing your orthopedic doctor. Joint pain can range from mild discomfort to severe pain and can be caused by a variety of factors, including age and lifestyle.
Joint pain can be caused by:
- Arthritis – inflammation of the joints
- Osteochondritis – an injury to the cartilage and bone
- Degenerative diseases – gradual deterioration of joint tissues
3. If You Have Mobility Issues
Have trouble with your mobility, such as when walking or climbing stairs? If so, an orthopedic doctor can give you a comprehensive assessment. Then, they can develop a personalized plan to help improve your mobility. This may include:
- Physical therapy – exercises and other modalities to strengthen muscles
- Prescription medications – to reduce swelling and pain
- Injections – to help reduce inflammation
- Surgery – to repair damaged tissues in severe cases
4. If You Experience Long-Term Stiffness
Do your joints feel stiff for extended periods? You may need to get a diagnosis from an orthopedic doctor.
Stiffness in the body can be due to a variety of issues, including:
- Arthritis – inflammation of the joints
- Osteoporosis – a weakening and thinning of bone tissue
- Bursitis – swelling in the bursae
5. If You Need to Manage a Chronic Condition
You need to monitor chronic conditions regularly if you suffer from one. Your orthopedic doctor can help you manage your chronic condition, so it doesn’t impact your quality of life or lifestyle.
The most common chronic orthopedic conditions are:
- Osteoarthritis – inflammation of the joints due to wear and tear
- Rheumatoid arthritis – an autoimmune condition that affects the joints
- Gout – an accumulation of uric acid in joints
- Ankylosing spondylitis – inflammation of the spine
- Fibromyalgia – a condition that causes widespread pain
6. If You Want to Improve Your Athletic Performance
Are you a competitive athlete or weekend warrior and want to improve your performance? If so, an orthopedic doctor can help. A visit to your physician will involve a physical evaluation and tests to reveal the cause of any pain or weakness.
An orthopedic doctor can create a personalized plan to help improve your performance, such as:
- Creating an exercise program specifically tailored to your needs
- Recommending nutritional supplements for better joint health
- Recommending physical therapy
- Prescribing orthotics or braces to help with stability
7. If You Want to Stay on Top of Your Orthopedic Health
Sometimes, there is no reason to see an orthopedic doctor except for maintaining good health. To achieve this, your doctor may:
- Conduct regular checkups to look for any signs of degeneration
- Advise on ways to prevent injuries by performing regular stretching exercises
- Monitor your lifestyle to see if it is having a negative impact on your orthopedic health
- Provide guidance and education on how to improve joint health
Even if you don’t have any particular issue with your orthopedic health, it’s still important to stay on top of it. That is why regular checkups are so important.
The Best Orthopedic Doctor Near You in Plantation, FL
Seeing an orthopedic doctor is just one of the many steps you can take to ensure your long-term joint health. They are experts in this field and can provide a comprehensive assessment of your orthopedic condition. An orthopedic doctor can provide the help you need whether you are dealing with chronic pain or just want to stay on top of your joint health. Don’t hesitate to contact an orthopedic physician today!
Looking for the best orthopedic doctor near you in Plantation, FL? You can rely on the board-certified and fellowship-trained doctors at Baylis and Brown Orthopedics. Dr. Baylis and Dr. Brown will make sure you receive the orthopedic care you deserve. You may call our friendly staff today at (954) 476-8800. You can also submit an online appointment request form to book a visit to our convenient office.
We look forward to providing you with the orthopedic care you need!